Monday 16 November 2015

Hold Her Heart

This week I was reminded of the journey I went on to find my biological father. I was sorting through some paperwork and my pile of articles, phone numbers, and various sources of information fell out. He left before I was born, and when I went through depression that was one endeavour I thought might be important for my healing. The outcome of that journey was the discovery that he had passed away. I had missed my chance to meet him, but I was able to grieve and close that chapter.

I share this story because sometimes we don’t know what people are carrying around. Sometimes there are painful discoveries, tormenting secrets and heavy burdens that weigh on those around us. Sometimes they never get the chance to share with us - it seems inappropriate or they don’t want to spoil the mood of our conversations. Sometimes it’s just too painful to speak the words.

I don’t remember if I shared with anyone at the time how that journey was affecting me. But I know that at different moments throughout my day to day life the feelings of abandonment, the sense of loss and grief and a deep sadness about choices people make, will resurface. And it’s become a habit to turn them into a prayer. And to feel along with others what they may be experiencing as well…

Hold Her Heart

The questions come
Without response
With every memory
Pain engulfs
You see the tears
That others don't
You wipe them dry
When others won't
Hold her heart Lord
Hold it near
Embrace the one
That You hold dear

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's stirring inside of you?