Friday 16 September 2016

A Beautiful, Kind, Resilient People

The little boy was trembling and I asked him what was wrong. His Dad had threatened to cut his throat he said. He didn't have anywhere to go home to...Tonight I contemplated the tens of thousands of stories out there like his. Lost and alone. No way out.

Australia seems worlds away now. We have landed with a thud in the Philippines. We had trouble finding transport that would fit our family today. Ken walked 45 minutes through a thunderstorm. Our power went out. My friend who came to help was stranded so she's now sleeping on the couch.

They're just little things but they somehow remind me of the fragility of life. There are people who live with more than inconveniences each day. Life and death, some of them.

But life goes on and glimpses of hope shine throughout humanity's failings. The friends who banded around the scared little boy - "I'll get my dad to talk with your dad," one said. "I have some spare clothes for you," said another. Ken's saturated bag that turned out to be full of food he'd been given at his class today. The candles that were discovered, and the way the kids drew together in the shock of the dark. The provision of computers and wifi to keep my kids entertained and the way other kids joined them to play - language no longer a barrier. The fact that someone would even bother to travel 2 hours to support my family.

With each growing frustration an incredible blessing gets highlighted. Our lack is continually matched by other's generosity. Our frustrations are met with a warm smile. And I sit and contemplate what other lengths of grace will be experienced by these beautiful, resilient people never short of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's stirring inside of you?