Thursday 11 October 2012

Losing all things for Jesus?

But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him...that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection... Philippians 3:7-10 NKJV

I have wrestled with this passage all week. I was trying to compare suffering the constant loss of people in my life to Paul suffering the loss of his social standing as a zealous, righteous Pharisee or his loss of physical freedom. They didn't compare very well! Paul's talking about things that seem important before you know Christ but lose their significance once He fills that place. I don't think he piled relationships into his use of "all things". Despite being in jail Paul hadn't lost his relationships - the existence of this and all his other letters proves that! On the contrary, gaining Christ brings new light on relationships - they are no longer grabbed at out of need for self worth or fulfillment but are treasured as glimpses of God's image on earth! Relationships are never really lost, just change in appearance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's stirring inside of you?