Monday 6 June 2016

Crying out Daddy


In Australia, when parents adopt a child into their family, that child receives a new birth certificate. It’s called a Sixth Schedule Birth Certificate. It nullifies the child’s original document and becomes their legal form of identification. On the new birth certificate is their new name, and their new parents’ names and details.

I know this because I have one. And everytime I look at it, I remember that this is not the only time I have been adopted into a new family, and in fact, not even the most significant adoption I’ve been through. Only a couple of years after I was adopted by my Dad, I decided to become a Christian. It was then that the Holy Spirit gave me His seal and my relationship with my Creator became one where I could now call Him “Daddy”. In Romans 8:15, the Hebrew word used for this new relationship to God is an intimate one - “Abba” or “Daddy”.

As we think about identities that can be put onto us throughout our lives, we are drawn back to the one true identity that remains the same. We will always be God’s precious, cherished children and we will always be able to boldly climb up onto our heavenly Daddy’s lap and speak to Him about whatever is on our minds. No fear; no shame.

For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” Romans 8:15 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's stirring inside of you?